Friday, June 12, 2009

Labor Story

Katy Briet Larson was born on Wednesday, May 27 at 4:27 p.m. Here is how she made it here... On Tuesday, May 26, Andrew and I arrived at the hospital to start the induction (I was 4 days overdue, and my insurance was changing at the end of May, so I needed to be induced so that my wonderful COBRA health insurance from being a teacher covered the labor and hospital stay.) Around 10:00 p.m. I got a folley catheter to get me a little more dilated so that they would be able to start the pitocin first thing in the morning. That night we slept pretty well (about as well as you can sleep with nurses poking and prodding you all night.)

Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. they started pumping that wonderful pitocin through me. By 9 I was having contractions about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes apart that were lasting from 1 to 1 1/2 minutes... I was not getting much of a break, but at this point, the contractions were no big deal. Well that didn't last long...by about 11 the contractions were pretty stinkin' intense and I was checked at 11:30 and was at a 7. I immediately asked for my epidural, which unfortunately took an hour and fifteen minutes to get to me. By 12:45 I was at an 8 and was sooo glad when the epidural arrived. After the epidural was given, I felt pretty good for about 10 minutes, and then it started to wear off and I was feeling some intense contractions again. So the nurse upped my dose of the epidural.

At about 1:30 the epidural was finally working and the doctor came in. I was at a 9, so he broke my water. Two hours later it was time to push, I pushed for exactly one hour, and Katy was here. She came out with not a peep, I kept asking the doctor, "Is she ok?" and he assured me that she was. Katy was 7 lbs. 13 oz. and 20 inches long. All in all, Andrew and I were very pleased with how well the labor went, and we are so grateful that Katy is happy (well, some of the time, haha) and healthy. Here are a few of our fav pics from the last 2 1/2 weeks:



9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She is So sweet!!! Congratulations to both of you! Good Job Mommy and you look great! Andrew good thing you have experience picking flowers and playing with my little ponies! She is beautiful have fun and I cant wait to see updates!

Elizabeth Hudson Holdaway

Missy said...

It's a good thing we aren't neighbors - I think I'd eat her! AHHH, I can't even stand it! Can't wait to meet her in person! Ry-guy and I Love you ALL!

Asherbie said...

SO CUTE. Seriously, and dear you look fantastic. Well done, you have a baby! There are still days I can't believe I have kids.
We're so stinkin blessed.

Jesse said...

CONGRATS! We've been waiting to hear! She is beautiful and perfect. She doesn't even look like a newborn! i am glad everything went okay for you. I hope you are recovering well. Tell Andrew congrats for us and enjoy!

River Hopkins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
River Hopkins said...

We just wanted to say welcome Katy. We are so happy to see her... we just may have to figure out what to do either us visit you guys or convince you guys to come out here.
Welcome Katy Kisses and Hugs from the Hopkins.

cameron said...

SO PRECIOUS! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Kandis said...

WOW, nice job guys, katie is SOOOOO dang cute, she looks like me. Thank you for that. love and miss you

Lucinda said...

Congratulations you guys! She is beautiful! Let me know if you need anything.